Preparation for Bed Bug Extermination Guide
Bed bug prep is the first step in our 3 step process for bed bug extermination. Bed bug preparation is about eliminating all hiding spots for bed bugs within your residence; a lack of preparation can lead to an ineffective bed bug treatment, resulting in a reinfestation.
Things to Consider When Doing Bed Bug Cleaning Preparation
- Reduce clutter in your home as much as possible. Clutter means extra hiding places for bed bugs.
- All items in your house should be wiped cleaned and/or vacuumed prior to placing them in plastic bags or bins.
- Vacuum bags should be removed immediately after, sealed, and discarded. Filters should be washed clean and dried
- Items not sealed properly risk spreading pests and re-infesting your home.
- Items infested should be placed in the center of the living room for treatment
- Remove all bedding, linens, and bed pads; place items for washing in sealed plastic bags or bins
- Remove and inspect all items under the bed
- If a mattress is damaged or infested beyond repair it should be torn, sealed, and clearly marked as infested.
- Empty all closets, remove and inspect items; move infested items to the living room
- Empty and clean all dressers, nightstands, and other room furniture pieces
- All other items should (toys, nick knacks, adornments, etc) must be wiped, removed, and placed in plastic bags
- Bag all clothing and washables (clothing, bedding, linen, stuffed animals, etc)
- Wash all items in hot water and dry for a minimum of 40 minutes, ideally continue drying on the hottest setting for 20 minutes after the clothing has become fully dry
- Keep items in sealed bags until after the 2nd treatment has been completed
Other Areas of the Home
- Empty all other closets, follow the procedure mentioned above
- Remove and inspect all items from the wall, if free of pests, seal all items
- Remove curtains and other fabric items for wash
- All furniture pieces should be cleaned and vacuumed free of debris.
- Unplug all electronics
- All items from around the home, on furniture, and desks, should be removed, cleaned, and bagged or sealed in plastic bags or bins
- Pets should be removed from the premises before treatment and for at least 24 hours after; Fish and aquariums should be removed as well, ensure they can survive
- Vacuum all rugs thoroughly and in infected areas dispose of debris appropriately
- Clean and place all kitchen utensils and items in cabinets after cleaning those areas, and seal prior to treatment; ensure all counters and surfaces are clear of all items
- Make sure that you and your family or other household members/residents vacate the premises during treatment and for an additional 4 hours after completion
Our 3 Step Solution for getting rid of bed bugs:
- Step 1 in our process is preparation for bed bug extermination.
- Step 2 is treatment application after bed bug prep
- Step 3 is prevention – in this step we recommend encasing the mattress, pillow, and box spring in bed bug protectors